Whether taking a trip to the grocery store or picking up our children from school, we rely heavily on cars and trucks every day. Most people follow the traffic laws and operate their vehicles with safety in mind. However, driving can still be dangerous. Indeed, an estimated 35,200 people died in vehicle accidents in the United States in 2013 alone.
There are countless causes of car accidents, but some of the most common causes are distracted driving, drunk driving, speeding, and reckless driving. And, sometimes accidents are caused by poorly maintained roadways, vehicle defects, or poorly maintained vehicles. Even a safe driver who follows all of the traffic laws can be involved in an accident when these external factors come into play.
A New Orleans car accident lawyer can help you to pinpoint the cause of your accident and figure out who is responsible for it.
What to Do after a Car Accident
Whatever the cause, if you’re involved in a car accident, there are several things you can do to protect your rights and stay safe at the accident scene:
- First, but only if it can be done safely, move your car to the side of the road to avoid oncoming traffic.
- If other drivers or pedestrians are in need of medical attention, call for an ambulance.
- Don’t leave the scene until you call local law enforcement to report the accident.
- Make sure to get the other driver’s insurance information.
- Wait for law enforcement to arrive to issue an accident report.
- Don’t discuss the cause of the accident with anyone other than the responding law enforcement officer.
- Take photos or document any damage done to your vehicle or any other personal property and the road conditions at the time of the accident.
Contact a Louisiana Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents happen every single day, and victims frequently either fail to make a claim or accept a quick settlement from an insurance adjuster. Don’t make these mistakes. If you’ve been injured in an auto accident in Louisiana, an accident lawyer at The Mahone firm can help. Call a New Orleans auto accident attorney at (504) 564-7342 today.